The Consumer Rights Organisation (CRO) met the district education officer and submitted a Memorandum for controlling the school fees and its collecting mechanism.
Despite the Covid-19 pandemic circumstances, every school has decided to operate classes for students from LKG to 10th class through online. Buying gadgets is an additional burden on the parents especially those who are in middle and below middle class families.
The memorandum, stated, Most of the private schools, corporate schools are going to get the advantage of reduced fixed and recurring expenses through reduced salaries of teachers, non-teaching staff, reduced stationery, electricity bills, expenditure on extra circular activities, sports events and other maintenance charges etc.
CRO has demanded the Government of Andhra Pradesh to:
1.Release the Covid – 19-fees collection guidelines to all private and corporate schools.
2. Categorize the schools based on the infrastructure, standards and location of the school to fix the fees of a particular school by the government itself.
3. To circumvent the pressure on parents, release the fees payment schedule.
4. No enhancement of fees, re-admission fee for the academic year 2020-21
5. Books and stationery charges for the academic year 2020-21 should be reachable to the parents as there is a struggle in income in current situation of COVID – 19
6. Screen Time is another challenge for all the parents as schools are taking classes which expose every children between 4 to 8 hours, this can be a cause for migraine, eye site, neck pain, spondylitis in a very young age. So in this context, we demand that no online class should be conducted for age below 12 years
7. No physical attendance of classes should be allowed till the expiry of 21 days from the date of last corona case in the Andhra Pradesh State.
“We are not against paying fees, whereas our request is to think about parents and children and take appropriate decision to issue necessary guidelines and orders to necessary departments,” stated Dr Vikas Pandey, State President, AP and in-charge Telangana, CRO.