Tension prevailed following a Fire mishap at 1200 hrs today in a container freight station (CFS) yard near Sheelanagar in Vizag on Monday. A Hazardous chemical called Aluminum Floride caught inside the Gateway’s CFS yard located adjacent to Airport road towards Sheelanagar area.
Though there were no casualties and injuries in the incident so far, the mishap created a panic situation in the city, which has been witnessing fatal industrial mishaps in the last few months. The CFS is a storage place for imported and exported consignments, brought in containers after they arrive in Vizag.
There was a chemical combustion in one of the container, which resulted in an explosion. A few chemical containers at the CFS were gutted in the incident. The residents of Yelapuvanipalem came out from their houses following the mishap fearing that they might develop respiratory problems due to toxic gases, like in the LG Polymers styrene gas leak incident. “ As soon as we got the information of the fire at 1200 hrs, two tenders from Pedagantyada and Autonagar were pressed into the service and brought the situation under control by 1345 hrs said BVS Ram Prakash, District Fire Officer told to Hello Vizag.
The police and service personnel are examining the area to ascertain the exact reason for the mishap. They are also examining the CFS to see if adequate safety measures are being followed.
CLICK HERE !! To be found on google search engine