in ,

South Korea buys 100 tonnes of juiciest mangoes from East Godavari district

South Korea buys 100 tonnes of juiciest mangoes from East Godavari district

In what can be said as good news for the mango crop growers in the East Godavari district, an import of 100 tonnes of Suvarnarekha and Alphonso varieties of mangoes were ordered by South Korea, according to horticulture deputy director Rammohan Rao. Speaking to Hello Vizag, Ramamohan Rao said that 70 percent of the mangoes cultivated in East Godavari district are exported to Delhi, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh, Odisha and Madhya Pradesh, while a part of the remaining 30 percent is consumed in the district and a fraction sent to places like Visakhapatnam and Vijayawada.

Interested mango farmers can avail the facility of the Kisan rail services, which are special trains introduced by prime minister Narendra Modi to increase the income in the farm sector by connecting production centers to markets and consumption centers. These trains do have a halt in Tuni and the horticulture department would provide the facility, Mr. Rao added. Mangoes are cultivated in an area of 15,363 hectares in the East Godavari district and are a good source of revenue to the farmer. Farmers in Tuni, Kotananduru, Sankhavaram, Raja Nagaram, Rowthulapudi, Gokavaram, Korukonda and other places cultivate mangoes and this year, the prospects are quite good.

To ensure farmers get higher prices for their mango crop, the horticulture department is implementing many measures. The department gives Rs 5,000 per hectare to farmers to undertake operations like branch cutting and to implement comprehensive crop management. Also, the horticulture department provides plastic trays on subsidy to transport mangoes.

The small and marginal farmers will get a 90 percent subsidy to provide drip irrigation to their fields. Similarly, medium farmers will get a 70 percent subsidy, while big farmers will get a 30 percent subsidy. The juice mangoes will become ready for harvesting after Ugadi, including the much popular variety of Suvarnarekha. Nalla Annavaram of Karapa village where the mango cultivation will be at its peak and Jillella Prasad of Kakinada rural area said that the mango farmers would receive good revenue from April to June provided there is no threat to the crop from the dusty winds that blow across the region during summer.

The farmers will harvest Suvarnarekha in April, Alphonso and Rasalu varieties in May, Neelam and Totapari in June. The names of 2,000 progressive farmers who cultivate mango crop in over 3500 hectares in the Tuni cluster have been registered in Hortinet of the horticulture department. The name of the farmer, the area of cultivation and the extent of supply of mangoes and other details are included in the portal so that buyers worldwide can talk to them directly. Presently, a tonne of mangoes are being sold at Rs 50,000 and the price is likely to come down to Rs 30,000 after ample stocks reach the market.

#VizagNews #Visakhapatnamnews #breakingnews #latestnewsvizag

Comments

Leave a Reply

Loading…

0
- Signature campaign launched against VSP privatization move

Signature campaign launched against VSP privatization move

GITAM-International-Conference-on-“Advances-in-Chemical-Research’’

GITAM International Conference on “Advances in Chemical Research’’