Nearly 70 students of Kasturba Gandhi Girls School, located on the outskirts of Paderu in Visakhapatnam, were hospitalised due to food poisoning on Monday night.
According to officials, they were served dinner at 6 pm and half an hour later, the girls, all aged between 10 and 14 years, started vomiting and complained of severe stomach pain. Initially they were taken to Minumuluru Primary Health Centre and from there to district hospital at Paderu.
Food samples were collected and sent to Visakhapatnam lab.
District Educational Officer L Chandrakala and other senior officials from the education department and revenue department visited the school.
The number of students is unclear, but according to The Hindu it is nearly 117 students.